Monday, January 12, 2009

elitaste.com's Top 10 Left Field Things of 2008



Daniel Weisman lets us know his favorite unexpected events of last year (including #5, above). The whole article is here, but #9 is what stuck out to me:

9. The Power of the Blog (aka The Death of Gangster Rap)

I saw this one from a mile away so I’m not sure how left field it was for me but I think on a mainstream level, people were blindsided by this one. Just a year ago, many savvy individuals were still scratching their heads as to what exactly a blog was but thanks to Kanye and Perez Hilton, seems like having a blog is about as commonplace as an email address these days. Now if you don’t have a Twitter and Tumblr account, you are so 2007. From the time I started managing Wale, I told him to not chase radio and it’s been proven that although 30% of people still get their new music from radio, it’s no longer the be all end all of a music career. The internuts has shown and proved that people are getting sick of gun toting and trapping. Not sure what comes next; maybe just larger than life normal guys since glamorized hyperbolic tales of street life is no longer ironic, it’s just played out.

No comments: